5 April 2010

Red Socks

Or whatever. Whatever does Rounders, about which Fr "Zed" has done a post, have to do with What the Prayer Really Means, or with "Catholic Affairs" in general? You won't catch me in such irrelevances, even though Pam and I did stroll with daughter Katie to the Parks today to watch the University against Northamptonshire. Truth to tell, Oxford cricket doesn't seem to have the same style to it as when we were undergraduates, in an era when our contemporary the Nawab of Pataudi was big in University ... and, for that matter, international ... cricket. Those were the days, when Indian and African noblemen lent zest to undergraduate life; before the University propositioned yankeedom with the vulgar plea "Send us your money and your daughters".

Then we went to the University Museum so that I could show my womenfolk a Mockingbird ... but cases were being rearranged and stuffed birds were Off. When I found a rattlesnake, it was broken in half. What is the University of Oxford coming to? But my Texan friends may be reassured to know that I did find a couple of very fetching and completely undamaged Horned Frogs.

6 comments:

Fr. J. Guy Winfrey said...

Dearest Father. I am so pleased to see that my native Texas seems to have made such an impact! I have to agree with you about all of the baseball talk on Fr. Z’s blog. As a Texan, we much prefer (American) football. I remember playing it for 10 years throughout my school years. Fond memories, but that is for the fall rather than the spring.

Patrick Sheridan said...

I have long ceased to read the blog of the infallible, utterly charming, genius, expert rubrician Fr Zed...

Mark said...

I'm sure there are plenty of Texans who would be glad to ship Oxford another rattlesnake.

Heck, if I'm shipped a case of Brakspear Tripel, I might kill and ship you all a rattlesnake myself!

GOR said...

"Red Socks"...?

...and I thought this post was going to be about the liturgical significance of buskins!

Scelata said...

Fr. Z pretends to ultra-orthodoxy, but since he refuses to acknowledge that the NY Yankees and their spporters s are God's Chosen People, he has obviously fallen into heresy.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

Anonymous said...

I am lucky enough to have a real live North American Mockingbird living in my "backyard." I love to hear him sing and sing and sing and sing and sign and...but he does tend to exert an oppressive mood on the other local fowl - except that my chickens (which are oddly scared of Robin-red-breasts, sending up great and mighty warning clucks) do seem to like him.

What a shame about the museum.